J O S H U A C H E C K L E Y

Thursday 13 January 2011

My favorite films within the elective to accompany my notes.

Jean Cocteau's Blood of a Poet I would say was the most striking film we watched. It was so strange and the use of the mouths on the hands and that kind of effect in 1930 was amazing.





Although I am stating my favorite films within our elective I also want to show which films I didn't like.
Robert Wiene's The Cabinet of Dr Caligari was a bit abstract for me and I felt slightly discomforted.




Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon was a film I had previously seen and enjoyed. When first seeing this film I was not educated at all about avant garde and what it meant.
I feel this film shows a varied account of shots and meanings that portray avant garde well.



There is something about Yoko Ono's piece One that intrigues me so much about film. The tranquillity in the film is so overwhelming. The way she completely discharges the act of striking a match. Something that is usually such a fast motion is slowed down to show its beauty.



Blow Job by Andy Warhol is such a great concept.
Denying the viewer of where the main focus usually is and looking at the aspects you don't consider.
The immature side of me finds this amusing but the mature side is intrigued to know what will happen.



Man Ray.
After viewing the Le Retour A La Raison film it changed my perspective of avant garde.
Great use of light and imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment